axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Jellinghaus <r...@unrealities.com>
Subject Re: TypeMappings - lifecycles and locations
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:58:11 GMT
At 04:38 PM 6/1/2001 -0400, Glen Daniels wrote:
>> I don't see engines as being global.  I could have a server application
>> with multiple instantiations of AxisEngine.
>>
>> I can see the need for that application to provide additional mappings.  As
>> one invokes an engine with a message context, this seems like a reasonable
>> place to provide this information to me.
>
>Does "this" mean the AxisEngine, or the MessageContext?
>
>If an application containing an AxisEngine (or two) wants additional "global"
>mappings, I can see putting them in the AxisEngine-scoped mappings, but don't
>think putting them directly in the MessageContext makes any sense (unless
>they're truly "per message" mappings, but I don't see any use-case for that).

I guess the real issue here is, what is "AxisEngine scoping"?  Right now
there are really only *two* scopes accessible to an Axis handler:  the
MessageContext which gets passed in to it, and static (singleton) scope.
Handlers don't have any direct access to the instance of the engine they're
running under.  (Nor, I think, should they.)  The MessageContext is the
only "scope-defining" object that a Handler has access to.

The MessageContext does have the ENGINE_HANDLER property; perhaps this
should be elevated to a method (getEngine? setEngine?) and then anything
that is intended to be "engine scoped" could be accessed via that accessor.
 Then the "engine glboal mappings" could be stored there, and a handler
would access them via msgContext.getEngine().getTypeMappings() or something.

Cheers,
Rob