axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Glen Daniels" <gdani...@macromedia.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/utils Admin.java
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:10:43 GMT
That's what it means, for right now.  This is easily changed - it's meant to
be an intermediate step on the way to understanding what the engine should
really do.  For now if we want, we can have it write out server-config.xml /
client-config.xml after each change (i.e. after each Admin.process()), and
assume a single config file per server/client, in whatever the current
directory happens to be.  That's about 5 minutes of work.

Longer term, I'd like to have the ability to scope deployment (at least on
the server) in some way - i.e. be able to cleanly deploy and undeploy a
named "package" of stuff.  If everything sits in one big registry, that's
hard.  We can imagine a hierarchy like this:

AXIS_ROOT/engine-config.xml (global engine config)
AXIS_ROOT/services/
AXIS_ROOT/services/myService/
AXIS_ROOT/services/myService/engine-config.xml
AXIS_ROOT/services/myService/classes
AXIS_ROOT/services/myService/classes/MyService.class
AXIS_ROOT/services/myService/classes/HelperHandler.class
AXIS_ROOT/services/otherService/

So when Axis comes up (or gets kicked), it would know to load all the
services/*/engine-config.xml files under its root dir.  Again, this heads in
the WSDD direction where a deployment can contain all kinds of stuff, but is
packaged under a name.

You might also deploy a service packaged like the following:

myServ.jar:
  WEB-INF/ (??)
    engine-config.xml
    classes/
      MyService.class
      HelperHandler.class

...dropping this into a "deploy" directory under AXIS_ROOT might
automatically expand the jar into a hierarchy under services/ via an
auto-deployer.

--Glen