axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: New Handler design - what do you think??
Date Fri, 25 May 2001 02:04:00 GMT
Glen Daniels wrote:

> The jukebox is never gated, nor may anything inside it be gated.  If you
> care about ordering/gating, you put Handlers on the chain explicitly.
Hm.
> Actually I could see the jukebox containing a sub-chain which itself has
> gating, though.  But that chain wouldn't gate anything else in the
jukebox.

I guess I'm not clear when invoke is called on handlers.  Particularly if
handlers are stateless.

Consider a jukebox which follows a gated auth handler.  The jukebox must
retain state until allowed to proceed.

My intuition at the moment is that making handlers stateless (instead of
merely serially reusable and pooled) will make handler writing harder and
acually INCREASE path length.

Consider the code you would have to write in order to merely record a SAX
stream.

- Sam Ruby