axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Yuhichi Nakamura" <NAKAM...@jp.ibm.com>
Subject Types of Deployment (Re: Thoughts about .jws deployment)
Date Sun, 27 May 2001 12:14:15 GMT

Best regards,

Yuhichi Nakamura
IBM Tokyo Research Laboratory
Tel: +81-462-73-4668

From: "Glen Daniels" <gdaniels@macromedia.com> on 2001/05/27 07:38

To:   <axis-dev@xml.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:  Thoughts about .jws deployment

The current system we have for dropping *.jws files into the web space to
deploy services is very cool, but could be better.  One of the nice things
that the .NET equivalent of this (*.asmx files) can do, because they
control
the compiler technology, is insert various deployment "hints" into the asmx
file.  For instance, they can specify which methods are "WebMethods" and
which ones are not exposed to the web service engine.

I'd like to see the ability to "tweak" the deployment of a jws service in
this way, and perhaps in other ways as well (for instance, custom
typemappings).  I see two possible techniques for doing this:

1) Use a preprocessor to embed deployment hints directly in the java file,
in comments.  This would be sweet, but would potentially be a bunch of
work.

2) Have the server look for a companion "*.jwd" (java web deployment) file
in the same directory as the .jws file.  This file, if it exists, would be
an XML file containing some deployment config/options for the service.

Example -

Foo.jws:
public class Foo {
   public String method1()
   { return "Hi, I'm method 1!"; }

   public String method2(int seekrit_number)
   { return "The seekrit number was " + seekrit_number; }
}

Foo.jwd:
<deploy>
 <method>method1</method>
</deploy>

This would only allow remote SOAP access to method1.

Thoughts?

--Glen