axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "James M Snell" <>
Subject Re: Transports
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 05:50:49 GMT
Definite +1 on this Glen :-)

- James Snell
     Software Engineer, Emerging Technologies, IBM (online) (offline)

Please respond to
To:     <>
Subject:        Transports

I've just been playing a little with various models for "transports" in
esp. on the server side.  I've now got the servlet set up so if you do
this in
your web.xml (or via other deployment means):

  <display-name>Apache-Axis Servlet</display-name>
  <description />
  <display-name>Apache-Axis Servlet</display-name>
  <description />
</servlet>'ll get two servlets registered, using the same class, each of which
use a different HTTP transport input chain.

I think the next thing I'd like to see in this realm is a concept of named
"transport listeners".  Each servlet we deploy would get a name, as would
POP listener, socket listener, etc.  Then that name gets used to look up
appropriate transport chains, instead of doing it the way we do now where
servlet knows the names of its transport chains.

To touch on a related topic, I'm imagining that each service we deploy
have a set of valid transports over which it may be accessed.  I.e. the
getQuote service is available to any transport we deploy, but the
service is only accessible via a particular servlet which is hardwired to

Having the names of the Listeners and chains be separate seems nicely
to me, so you could have different Listeners with different sets of active
services behind them, but sharing the same transport chains.

As an example, you might have:

Listener "HTTP1" - servlet at
  - maps to transport in-chain "HTTP.input", no out-chain
  - All "business" services use this transport

Listener "HTTPAdmin" - servlet at
  - same class as above (no extra code, just deployment)
  - maps to transport in-chain "SecureHTTP.input", which includes
    authentication checkers
  - AdminService has this as the only valid transport

Listener "AxisServlet" - servlet in the usual place
  - maps to "HTTP.input" input chain
  - only allows default Axis "test" services

This stuff was spurred by a long talk with Rob Jellinghaus in SF over the
weekend - he'll be posting some notes from that chat later on.

View raw message