axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/server AxisServer.java
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 20:28:20 GMT
Glen Daniels wrote:

> This brings up something I've been meaning to comment on for a while.
>
> I'd like to get a sense of how other people feel about the whole idea of
> serializing these registries as Java object files.  To me, it seems like
> this is an unnecessary and potentially broken duplication of data.  We've
> got this same information in various XML files (deployment/config), and I
> would vote to just keep it there instead.  That way, there's no possibility
> of the XML getting out of sync with the *.reg files, and changes which are
> made programmatically to the engine might also be stored in a human-readable
> way.  This is basically the "DRY" (Don't Repeat Yourself) principle, which
> is covered quite well by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas in "The Pragmatic
> Programmer".

I'd love to see it as XML, and could even be talked into doing the work.

I don't see how the DRY principle applies here, however.  Conceptually we
have an in memory database, populated by a series of requests (deploy and
undeploy), and from a variety of potential formats (V2 compatible, WSDD +/-
WSDL, etc).  The format it comes in may not be the best cannonical form for
accessing, loading and unloading.

Now that we have a introspection driven, SAX based serializer
(org.apache.axis.encoding.BeanSerializer), I'd like to simply make the
datastructures true beans and use our own code to do the work.  Note: I
actually feel the same way about the current Admin and WSDD implementation
(Sorry, James), and would prefer to load the data directly into the
appropriate data structures instead of resorting to DOM.

- Sam Ruby