axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Deployment
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 15:21:26 GMT
Glen Daniels wrote:

> Second, I would like to change the build process to create a fully
> deployable J2EE webapp instead of the hybrid we have now.  Right now we rely
> on someone to add the distribution's "lib/soap.jar" to their app server's
> classpath, which is not only adding an unnecessary step to the deployment
> process, but also disabling some cool features of certain app-server
> environments.

soap.jar does not need to be in the classpath, nor should it be placed there IMHO.

http://xml.apache.org/websrc/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/xml-axis/java/docs/install.html

> So I'd like to make these changes -
>
> 1) build samples into "build/classes/samples" for consistency
>
> 2) copy "build/classes/*" into "webapps/soap/WEB-INF/classes"
>
> 3) copy soap.jar into "webapps/soap/WEB-INF/lib"

If I read your suggestion correctly, you want anybody who deploys Apache
soap to automatically deploy the samples.  This I am opposed to.  Also if
we are not careful, the samples would also be placed into the soap.jar.  Am
I misreading you?

> This would result in a webapps/soap directory which we could just wrap up
> into a .war file, and let people deploy with no extra soap-specific
> classpath changes.  This would make life a LOT easier for people, I think.
> Plus it lets features like JRun's "hot-deploy" work with soap (i.e. drop a
> new soap.jar into your webapp WEB-INF/lib directory and the classes
> automatically reload).

Can JRun hot-deploy things that are referenced by soap.jar, or does the entire service need
to be placed into this jar to get the desired result?

- Sam Ruby