axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Darrel Drake" <EB92...@jp.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Random formatting questions
Date Tue, 29 May 2001 06:39:10 GMT

Just my two cents here: now that I've learned to do away with evil tabs, I
also am
attached to the JCS-standard 4. I find the mix of 2's and 4's hard to read
also.Hopefully
we can reach some consensus on this one way or the other. My Textpad can
smartly scan
through all the code files at once and mark/replace regular expressions
like "\n  ." so I'm
ready to implement whatever we come up with. (Then one of you nice guys can
commit it
for me :).

Darrell Drake*
IBM Japan, TRL
+81-46-215-4175
EB92401@jp.ibm.com
* - Notes ID has a misspelling of my name

From: "Sam Ruby" <rubys@nc.rr.com> on 2001-05-27 01:16

To:   <axis-dev@xml.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:  Re: Random formatting questions

> Yep, I do like 4 - I find the code much easier to read, and those
> intelligent Sun guys made it the standard.

Oxymoron Alert!!   ;-)

I don't object to 4, in fact every new file I have contributed has
conformed
to this.  What I do mind is frequent occurences of lines longer than 80
characters (the intelligent Sun guys also made that part of the standard).
With 4 spaces and 80 columns, what I often find is my code jammed up to the
right margin.

More pressing to me that indentation is lack of javadoc commentary (and in
many cases, lack of commentary period), and inconsistent bracing,
particularly in the same file (example: utils/admin.java, and scan for
"else").

And more pressing than this to me is the lack of tests.