axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Onnen <EOn...@c-bridge.com>
Subject RE: WSDL skeleton generation
Date Fri, 18 May 2001 20:32:00 GMT
Ah, that is a different story all together, I didn't read carefully enough
to see the desire for an open tool. An open source tool would be great. I
think this is just the type of package that could benefit from a community
process and would be a nice plug-in to something like Axis.

I think they all operate in slightly different metaphores. Glue and
interbind tend to focus on providing a simplified way of creatating a
services web with WSDL acting as a sort of IDL behind the scenes. Cape
Connect seems focused more on being a total sloution including J2EE app
server, web server and container.

Personally, I like the WSTK the best. Simple command line tool, you can see
the debug if you want and it's easy to see the impacts of your changes as
all the output is right in front of you. Problem with WSTK is that it can't
handle complex types in the method signature yet and it has to operate on
concrete implementations (you can't generate a WSDL from an interface). Glue
has a lot of promise but it feels like a black box. I was getting bizare
transaction errors for simple calls from a SOAP service object to a J2EE
service. Good luck finding out what causes your exceptions in Glue, when it
breaks it breaks hard and you aren't entitled to find out why.

My wishlist would be something that could work on an abstract interface,
something like a remote EJB stub with complex parameters (sometimes
interfaces as well) and spit out WSDL. On the flip side, your tool would
generate server skeleton interfaces for which you provide implementations.
Then at service deployment, you specify an instance of that interface.

One other thing to consider is where the different components of a WSDL
definition overlap with the Axis design. So for example, how does a binding
overlay an Axis concept of a transport layer?