axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "James M Snell" <jasn...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Parsing stuff
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 04:29:27 GMT
Well... coincidentally, in between implementing a simple version of the
serialization/deserialization architecture for the current Axis codebase
and writing a new article for developerWorks, I took some time last night
to throw together the attached bit of code that does the same thing.  This
code is pretty basic, and since I'm not going to claim to be an expert in
Java thread management, may not be completely right on.  But, it does work
(though the object model does need a bit of cleanup)

This code gives us:

    1. Streaming support
    2. Lazy parsing
    3. Much better performance (for a simple SOAP envelope with 2 headers
and a single body element, I was noticing speeds averaging about 10
milliseconds for each loop in the code contained in the Main.java class
(see the zip file) compared to an average of 40-50 milliseconds per loop
using a DOM approach (I'm using Xerces2 in nonvalidating mode, btw).

I wrote this last night between 11:00pm and 2:00am so please be gentle
with your flames ;-)

- James Snell
     Software Engineer, Emerging Technologies, IBM
     jasnell@us.ibm.com (online)
     jsnell@lemoorenet.com (offline)