axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Doug Davis" <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/utils
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2001 18:40:41 GMT
(removed expletives towards DOM and JAXP 8-)

Perhaps someone could answer some of these questions:

- How expensive is it to create a new DocumentBuilder?
- How do we serialize DOM w/o requiring a specific implementation?
- Is it possible to create an Element w/o a Document object?
- How expensive is the importNodes method?  I'm assuming its high.

Matthew Duftler/Watson/IBM@IBMUS on 04/02/2001 02:30:00 PM

Please respond to

Subject:  Re: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/utils

Hi Doug,

I don't know what the standardized way to serialize a org.w3c.dom.Document
is. There probably is a way, but I'm not sure what it is. I briefly looked
through the JAXP spec to see if I could find a clue, but I didn't see
anything. I did notice, however, that they explicitly say that
DocumentBuilder is not expected to be thread-safe, so holding on to one
instance may not be the best idea.

View raw message