axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From gdani...@macromedia.com
Subject FYI : JDOM vs. DOM
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 18:14:04 GMT

Out of curiousity, I whipped up a VERY quick test based on the Xerces
DOMCount sample.  I parsed and traversed a document with 21 elements, 41
attributes, and 61 characters 10 times each, using DOM and JDOM object
models.

With DOM, the first run took 219ms.  After that the next 9 were each between
31 and 78 ms.

With JDOM, the first run took 16ms.  The next 9 were all the same, 0ms.

This is not in any way a conclusive test, since the models aren't really
quite the same and I wasn't paying attention to caching, etc...  However I
do believe it's indicative of the trend here.  Code is attached (I built
both of these in the xerces samples/dom dir).

Glen Daniels
Macromedia
Engineering Manager
http://www.macromedia.com/