axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Reitzel, Charlie" <CReit...@arrakisplanet.com>
Subject RE: Some source
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:24:44 GMT
I've been thinking along a new line lately.  Namely it is time to revive
Data Binding and drive SOAP marshalling w/ generated classes based on XML
Schema.  This would allow Java class names to be excised once and for all
from SOAP messages, improve performance a great deal and still work well
with the overall axis architecture of pluggable handlers.  Serializers can
still be located by Java type and Deserializers can be located by
URI/Element Type combination.

I went searching for Data Binding implementations (aka schema compilers) on
Google the other day, but didn't find much, tho.  Anything at AlphaWorks?

Admittedly, I haven't been able to keep up w/ recent developments.  How is
the handler architecture progressing?  Is the handler chain layer
sufficiently insulated from XML parsing considerations to allow a completely
new marshalling framework to be applied?  Or have you all settled on passing
a lazy DOM instance between handlers?

take it easy,
Charles Reitzel

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Ruby [mailto:rubys@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 10:46 AM
To: axis-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Some source

Glen,

It seems to compile cleanly and doesn't break tests (I'll admit that I've
only tried the stock quote, but that one seemed to work).

My focus for the near term is to flush out the (de)serializers - at least to
the point where the N+I demo can be implemented without unnatural acts. I
see that the support is incomplete but adequately roughed in.

My take is that this work should be committed so that we can complete and
build upon it.  Particularly as it appears to be the most promising
technical approach that we know of at this time for achieving performance
and scalability.

- Sam Ruby