axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Brennan <Michael_Bren...@Allegis.com>
Subject RE: Architecture consideration
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:13:09 GMT
By "non-J2EE", I really mean servlets and JSPs without EJBs. (Sorry for the
ambiguity. I should have been more specific.)

I think a simple web services model for servlets can attract many developers
who are not using EJBs. I would also add that even for those developers who
are using more of the J2EE platform than just servlets and JSPs, there may
be other non-EJB services they want to expose as a web service. For
instance, a servlet interacting with an EIS system using a J2EE Connector
interface, or perhaps a proprietary integration API.

Web services have the potential to open many doors that EJBs cannot open. In
addition, a simple web services model could attract many developers who are
intimidated by the constantly growing complexity of the J2EE model.
Certainly, though, a sound web services architecture should also be able to
support those developers who need those richer J2EE services, as well.