axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Brunsmann <joerg_brunsm...@yahoo.de>
Subject RE: Architecture consideration
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:31:08 GMT
Michael Brennan <Michael_Brennan@Allegis.com> wrote:

> Web services have the potential to open many doors that EJBs cannot open. In
> addition, a simple web services model could attract many developers who are
> intimidated by the constantly growing complexity of the J2EE model.
> Certainly, though, a sound web services architecture should also be able to
> support those developers who need those richer J2EE services, as well.

Yes! To the best of my knowledge real life examples I've seen don't use
entity beans because of design flaws in the EJB 1.1 spec. These issues are
to be resolved in the EJB 2.0 which is discussed heavily and has yet to
prove that issues are resolved. Examples I've seen just use stateless
session beans, which in fact is a simple RMI call. Face it, the web world
isn't coupled tightly, it's a stateless coupling of devices. That's
the reason why rpc with xml is so attractive.

Sharing code in this concrete scenario means having the same AxisEngine
class which lives in different environments:

* in the same JVM process as the servlet which creates it
* in an EJB container where it was created by a session bean
  whose instantiation was initiated by another servlet running
  in a different JVM process

Summing up:

1. sharing code should be no problem.
2. Relying only on J2EE and EJBs would be a huge mistake

Jörg