axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "James M Snell" <>
Subject Re: parser vote
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:23:23 GMT

Essentially what this vote means is that we'd take JDOM out, put DOM in
(via JAXP) and go from there.  By using JAXP, we also ensure that SAX
processing of the message is still available and therefore you still have
the option of using JDOM in your handlers if you so wish.

Keep in mind:  this very well could be a short term decision.  I want to
get a few of us together to put together a complete list of requirements
Axis has for XML Processing and take that list over to the Xerces guys to
see what we can do in the way of a long term solution.  I think that we'll
be able to benefit a great deal from the input of everyone on that side of
the playground.

What does this decision buy us?  Less headaches.

All this decisions means is that we're punting on this topic for now so we
can move on and get Axis 1.0 done.  If a better answer emerges between now
and the 1.0 release, let's consider it.  If a better answer comes after
1.0, then we have our first big feature in Axis 2.0 already scoped out.

- James Snell
     Software Engineer, Emerging Technologies, IBM (online) (offline)

Please respond to
To:     <>
Subject:        Re: parser vote

I guess I need to look deeper into JAXP.  I thought that JAXP just
provided you
with a parser-independent way of getting at DOM or SAX.  If that were
true, the
"JDOM vs. JAXP" dichotomy here wouldn't really exist; as I understand it
JDOM guys are already working towards JAXP compatibility at the bottom
so why punt the object model?  "JDOM vs. DOM" seems like a real question,
"JDOM vs. JAXP" seems orthogonal to me.

I guess I'm going to abstain on this vote for now, since I don't have the
picture, but I really like the easy and natural programming model of JDOM.
at least going to want to use JDOM when dealing directly with XML in
handlers I
might write, so I'd like to make sure we don't do anything to preclude it.

More after I get back....