axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Project Manager - another one bites the dust
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:36:18 GMT
Glen Daniels wrote:

> I'd really like to know how other big open-source projects like
> the Apache web server and Linux kernel deal with this - do
> they have a "point person" to PM each release, or is there just
> a good organizational structure in which all the committers do
> the work?  Sam, ideas on this?

In general, if you are already close to the project, it does not require
much in the way of time or effort.

A PM (actually, I've only seen "release manager" as a title) in general
does not get to say what actually goes into a release in the sense of
giving out assignments.  All people here are volunteers, whether or not
they are sponsored by their employers.  Volunteers pretty much get to work
on what they want to work on.

What mostly is required is someone who is aware of the overall status, and
may occasionally make statements like "now might not be a good time to make
that change"... and with enough community respect that such statements are
listened to.

The only other thing a release manager typically does is monitor for
reports of bugs in order to determine when to release.  And a thick enough
skin to accept the inevitable criticisms from non-participants after the
release.  ;-)

>From everything I have seen, you will do well.

- Sam Ruby