axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Yuhichi Nakamura" <NAKAM...@jp.ibm.com>
Subject JDom
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:26:42 GMT

Sorry for my late response :-)
Have we agreed on moving to JDOM?
As Dirk mentioned, we could not use other tools that depend on DOM.
When I want to use DOM-dependent tools, I have to marhshal JDOM to
get input source, then construnct DOM.  Am I right?
BTW, how broadly is JDOM accepted?

Best regards,

Yuhichi Nakamura
IBM Research, Tokyo Research Laboratory
Tel: +81-46-215-4668
FAX: +81-46-273-7428

From: Dirk Reinshagen_C <DReinshagen_C@zaplet.com> on 2001/03/06 03:32

To:   "'axis-dev@xml.apache.org'" <axis-dev@xml.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:  RE: JDom

I had a question/observation about moving to JDOM.  When using
SOAP in a message oriented fashion I tend to use tools like
XSLT and XPath to process the messages.  Currently the Xalan
package from apache works on a DOM implementation, therefore a
incoming message is processed by using existing DOM (created by
apache SOAP implementation) to transform (via XSLT) and access
data (via XPath) using the existing DOM.

My knowledge of JDOM is limited, but doesn't moving to JDOM mean
that XSLT processing must marshaled, then passed to an input
source for XSLT, parsed into an (stree or xerces DOM) then processed.
The same also seems to hold true for accessing the document via XPath
(until JDOM has an XPath implementation which I understand is the next
release).  So in both these cases it seems like the move to JDOM will
actually make the performance worse not better.

I guess my concern is that the move to JDOM has the implication of loosing
all of the other tools that depend on the DOM data structure.  Is there
any chance we could support both?  Having something like a IEnvelope
interface
that could be implemented with both a JDOM and DOM implementation?

Dirk