axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Pawel Januszewicz <pjanuszew...@zefer.com>
Subject RE: YAXP
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:22:41 GMT
Sam,

I did not mean to critcize you. The Electric XML is a perfect example how
you can specialize parser for performance at the cost of generic aproach to
parsing and portability. I think we could gain a lot in terms of performance
using it.

What I wanted to emphasize is the license wording which goes stright against
the Apache SAOP , enumerated among other way more commercial applications of
the XML parser. I have spent some time trying to figure out the reasoning
behind it and to tell you the truth except some potential personal issues
between the author and the Apache people I could find any. Maybe you have
more insight on it.

Pawel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Ruby [mailto:rubys@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 12:39 PM
To: axis-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: YAXP

Pawel Januszewicz wrote:

> Sam you have to read the license. It specifically says the parser cannot
be used in
> Apache SOAP.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that this code base be adopted.  On the off
chance that it turns out to be the right answer, I can pursue changing the
license with the author.

I was merely presenting it as another data point (perhaps valid, perhaps
not) which may be useful (or not) to determining XML parser requirements.

My personal opinion is that the overhead of an XML parser is overstated for
small streams, but becomes a significant factor for larger streams.

- Sam Ruby