axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <gdani...@allaire.com>
Subject RE: process (was: Re: The Great Debate: Xml Parsers)
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:24:52 GMT

Sam sez:
> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> >
> > .. the note even went to Xerces folks!
> >
> > ARGH.
>
> That's actually a good thing.

Well, except that I didn't actually send that note to the Xerces guys
precisely because I felt it involved internal Axis team issues. :)

> > Can we please open up a bit more?
>
> +1

+1 as well.  A lot of the problem recently seems to be that everyone got
really busy with other projects (for instance, I really need to be focusing
a lot of energy on internal Macromedia stuff at the moment), and so we sort
of split out development work in several directions - Doug continues to hack
on the code in various ways, James is working on the message API and the
parsing stuff, Steve is looking at WSDD, etc.  This is a little more
reasonable once we've passed the stage where there's a clear design and a
"to do" list, but we're not quite there yet.

In concert with this the traffic on the mailing list has gone WAY down -
there was a long period where we were having a lot of good discussion and
hashing things out, which I think was very valuable.

So my suggestion to everyone is - when you're thinking about Axis stuff,
whether writing code or designing or whatever, write a quick note which
describes your thinking and send it off BEFORE you get too far.  Even if we
don't generate a lot of back-and-forth discussion because everyone's busy,
that will go a long ways towards helping us feel like a team, and preventing
the "hey, what do you mean we decided to build a CORBA ORB?" phenomenon. :)

		--G