axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Graham" <sggra...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] 1 Msg or 2
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:54:51 GMT
Sanjiva:
Given the headers must all be checked before processing can begin, what
benefit is there do doing streaming?

++++++++
Steve Graham
sggraham@us.ibm.com
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
<<Pithecanthropus Erectus>>
Emerging Internet Technologies
++++++++

"Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com> on 02/02/2001 09:05:28 AM

To:   <axis-dev@xml.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:  Re: [Vote] 1 Msg or 2

> I seem to have lost the battle for streaming the inbound message.  I must
> agree that conformance to the spec is a fairly compelling argument.

I don't think you have- my view is that what's in the "IncomingMessage"
is a source from which the message can be accessed. It *must* be in
a streaming form (SAX) at the lowest level IMO and if someone wants it
in another form they hafta ask for it. When they do ask for it, then
the canonical form that's "currently available" will become whatever
the other form is. We can always generate SAX from DOM, DOM from JDOM
etc., but there's clearly a price to pay. That's where smart ordering
of the handlers will pay off. As I said in the last telecon, we only
give make the gun; you pull the trigger yourself.

> So now, I ask: can the outbound message be streamed?  It seems to me that
> fairly common scenario would be that the inbound message is a selection
> criteria, and the outbound message is the results of a database query.

+1

Sanjiva.