axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Doug Davis" <>
Subject RE: SOAPAction
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2001 12:46:13 GMT
I don't think I like the way this is headed.  You make it sound like each
service could have the target service specified in completely different
ways.  While this might sound neat from a flexibility point of view it's
a nightmare when it comes to usability.  We need to come up with, or
figure out what the spec says is, the correct way to do this and run with
it.  Having an ordered list of preferred ways of telling us is ok, but
do whatever you want and we'll just keep trying different things until we
figure it out doesn't sound very good to me.  If all of your services on a
particular server use one type of transport listener then I really think
of those web services should have the target specified in the same way.

"MURRAY,BRYAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <> on 02/07/2001
09:41:07 PM

Please respond to

To:   "''" <>
Subject:  RE: SOAPAction

I agree with your assessment of the 3 main methods for identifying a
service. I also agree that the SOAP spec does not specify which method
should be used.

You used the phrase "implementation detail left completely up to the SOAP
application implementor", which I also agree with. I believe that as Axis
developers we are NOT SOAP application implementors - we provide the tools
for a SOAP application implementor. Therefore, we should provide the
to dispatch using all of the 3 listed options. A SOAP application
implementor would specify which mechanism should be used when she deploys
the SOAP application - it could even be different depending upon the
transport on which the message arrives.

As Axis developers, we should not make the decision for the SOAP
implementor by providing only 1 possibility.

Bryan Murray