axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Graham" <>
Subject Re: WSDL awareness
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:16:37 GMT
Is it possible to do WSDL generation from source in the document-centric
case?  For the RPC case, I understand how, even with complex types, the
right kind of WSDL together with WSDD for serializers could be generated.
But in the case of document-centric (which I believe will be the  bulk of
interesting web services) I am not sure the signature of the JAva method eg
something like postPurchaseOrder(Document poDom) is going to directly yield
much interesting information.

Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
Web Services Architect
Emerging Internet Technologies

Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS on 02/26/2001 10:38:51 AM

Please respond to

Subject:  Re: WSDL awareness

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Notice that the MS implementation currently only supports
> simple types. When they do support complex types their
> "full automatic" WSDL generation cannot work ..

Why not?

An important aspect of the Microsoft approach is that no files external to
the source are required - they can be present, but not required.
Additional information can be provided in the source in the form of
attributes - essentially meta data.  In the absense of other information,
reasonable defaults are provided.

In your recent example of array vs. struct, one could use introspection of
the service itself.

- Sam Ruby

View raw message