axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Doug Davis" <>
Subject RE: [AXIS ARCH] - Message Internals
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:16:32 GMT
Another thing to wonder about...if we need to examine all headers
in advance to make sure we can process them (or at least the ones
we're supposed to process) don't we need to examine the body
too, to make sure we 'can' process it before we actually do process
anything?  Remember, the SOAP spec says that semantically the
body and headers are the same (with body having implicit must-
understand and actor fields).

Steve Graham/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS on 02/01/2001 09:09:14 AM

Please respond to

Subject:  RE: [AXIS ARCH] - Message Internals

Push and pull are descriptions of different ways that you can be passed an
I am somewhat concerned about using push or pull technologies.
I see the pro/con tradeoffs of using "streaming" push/pull parsing
vs "entire document" parsing).

Advantages of streaming parsing include: memory savings (entire doc does
not need to be in memory) and  potentially lighter memory utilization if
a "tight" object model for envelope is used vs DOM based object model.
There may be performance tradeoffs, but I have no personal experience to
judge this, although from previous postings in this conversation thread,
there seem to be better scalability factors here.

The biggest disadvantage I can see is that conforming to SOAP v1.1 spec
eliminates much of the advantages of this:

View raw message