axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <gdani...@allaire.com>
Subject RE: RE: [Vote] 1 Msg or 2
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 20:40:20 GMT

> >What is an example where a request-processing handler needs
> access to the
> >response message or vice versa.
>
> Don't know if others will buy into this, but to me, I can see a header
> handler process a header and want to send info back to the requestor
> indicating some sort of response (maybe something as simple as 'yes I
> did it' or possibly even something more complex) and that response
> might go back in a header in the response stream.  So in this case
> I can see a header handler adding stuff to the outgoing stream before
> the service-handler is even invoked.

+1

We discussed this kind of case a lot at the F2F in Washington, and the
choice seemed to come down to a) do it directly for the two-message model,
since you have the outgoing msg right there, or b) put something in the
context that another handler will pick up on the outgoing chain and as a
result insert the right thing into the response message.  (a) has always
seemed much cleaner and less error-prone to me.

--Glen