axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From James Snell <jmsn...@intesolv.com>
Subject RE: SOAPAction
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 22:16:06 GMT
Bryan,

the only problem with this is that a SOAP Processor cannot ONLY parse and
process the headers.  Rather, a SOAP Processor is under some fairly
stringent guidelines that must be met in order for ANY part of the message
(body and headers) can be touched.  Some of these include:

   * A SOAP message MUST NOT contain a Document Type Declaration.
   * A SOAP message MUST NOT contain Processing Instructions. [7]
   * All non-SOAP defined elements MUST be namespace qualified
   * The Body Element MUST exist

If any of these requirements is not met, then the entire message SHOULD be
tossed out before any processing of the message contents (header or body) is
done at all.

HTTP "messages" do not have similar requirements and therefore use a
different processing model.

And as another point, it simply is not scalable to examine every message for
information about where to dispatch the message.

- James