axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From James Snell <jmsn...@intesolv.com>
Subject RE: SOAPAction
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 18:47:07 GMT
Remember that not focusing on Routing per se, we're talking about
dispatching an incoming message to a deployed service.  Whatever the
deployed service does with the message (processes the SOAP message, does not
process the soap message) is irrelevant at this point.  The task of
receiving a message, determining which service needs to process that message
and thereby forwarding the message on to the service does not require
parsing the envelope at all, nor should we ever design the system to do so
since we can make absolutely no assumptions as to what is in the contents of
the message.

I should never be forced to parse a message simply to find out where it
needs to go (the equivalent to this would be a Web Server being forced to
parse the contents of a HTTP POST in order to figure out which
script/servlet it is being posted to).

Secondly, SOAP does not require routing information in the Header to make it
transport independent.  All the transport layer needs to know is where and
how to send the message (a URI).

- James