axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: streaming outbound messages (was Re: [Vote] 1 Msg or 2)
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 14:33:51 GMT
Doug Davis wrote:

> I don't know - I sort of agree, but at the same time I wonder about more
> serious handlers like encryption and DigitalSignature handlers.  These
> do some pretty serious work and are done after the "real" work is done.
> But if these fail should we return a fault gracefully?

hi,

to handle encryption or to check and generate digital signature in soap
envelope you will have to buffer whole output in memory so i think it is not
the case to consider for streaming.

somebody using XML level encryption/signature should be aware of performance
hit and if necessary can use more transport oriented solution such as TLS/SSL
with client certificates (then in this case streaming seems to be feasible and
desirable...).

i think that it would be very good for performance to allow streaming for
simple RPC calls/messages but allow buffering and some kind of DOM tree
(partial?) when some handlers needs to use it (such as digital signature).

thanks,

alek
--
Aleksander Slominski, LH 316, IU, http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom
As I look afar I see neither cherry Nor tinted leaves Just a modest hut