axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: streaming outbound messages (was Re: [Vote] 1 Msg or 2)
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 02:33:08 GMT
Doug Davis wrote:

> I would claim that both are wrong.  Closing the connection abruptly without
> telling the client that there was an error is just asking for them to try
> again.
> And of course you can't put a fault anywhere in the soap message, that
> would violate the spec.

please keep in mind that generally this situation will be rare - incoming
message was already processed  - all handlers were identified - mustUnderstand
headers were checked and  body handler probably have read whole incoming
message (to be able to process it). therefore there is not much that can go
wrong when outbound message is streamed back.

in my opinion SOAP in version 1.1 is not prepared to handle well big outbound
messages - without ability to signal fault in message there is no much that the
system can do except buffer while message and wait for exceptions. if there are
exception throw away buffer and send back fault...

i think that abrupt connection closing is fine (and as pointed out will
happened anyway for example with OutOfMemoryException or basically anywhere in
the code that is actually writing answer back to socket) and SOAP client should
detect it and correctly report it back to application (and do not try reconnect
- i think there is actually exception like UnexpectedEndOfStream...).

alek
--
Aleksander Slominski, LH 316, IU, http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom
As I look afar I see neither cherry Nor tinted leaves Just a modest hut