axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: streaming outbound messages (was Re: [Vote] 1 Msg or 2)
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 16:36:24 GMT
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> > it would be still possible with HTTP/1.1 chunking but i have not seen it on
> the
> > list of things to do for AXIS ARCH (or I may be wrong...).
>
> Can u please explain how HTTP chunking works and how that can be used
> to do outbound streaming? I think that could have a major performance
> impact.

when HTTP/1.0 POST is used as defined in SOAP spec 1.1 it is necessary to
calculate Content-Length before starting sending anything and it means that we
need to keep an output buffer in memory (to calculate content length).

with HTTP/1.1 chunking it is possible to start sending as soon as we have
something serialized and more important - we do not need to keep the output
buffer in memory! however to have it working both sides - client and server -
must implement chunking. i think that apache has support for it so running tomcat
<-> apache will give chunking support but we still need to have it on client side
to work...

for details please on chunking please see
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.6.1

thanks,

alek
--
Aleksander Slominski, LH 316, IU, http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom
As I look afar I see neither cherry Nor tinted leaves Just a modest hut