axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject streaming outbound messages (was Re: [Vote] 1 Msg or 2)
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 06:11:18 GMT
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> > I seem to have lost the battle for streaming the inbound message.  I must
> > agree that conformance to the spec is a fairly compelling argument.
>
> I don't think you have- my view is that what's in the "IncomingMessage"
> is a source from which the message can be accessed. It *must* be in
> a streaming form (SAX) at the lowest level IMO and if someone wants it
> in another form they hafta ask for it. When they do ask for it, then
> the canonical form that's "currently available" will become whatever
> the other form is. We can always generate SAX from DOM, DOM from JDOM
> etc., but there's clearly a price to pay. That's where smart ordering
> of the handlers will pay off. As I said in the last telecon, we only
> give make the gun; you pull the trigger yourself.
>
> > So now, I ask: can the outbound message be streamed?  It seems to me that a
> > fairly common scenario would be that the inbound message is a selection
> > criteria, and the outbound message is the results of a database query.

hi,

i agree that it is good to have multiple interfaces to access inbound message.

i would put them in this order:
* pull parser or MessageElement/XMLElement (as proposed by James Snell)
* SAX as it is easy to convert pull parser XML events into SAX events
* DOM or JDOM as it can always be built from SAX events or pull parser events

however i think that streaming outbound messages in HTTP/1.0 is almost impossible
and not that useful as to create valid POST it is necessary to known
Content-length - i do not know other way to do it (and get through HTTP
proxies...) maybe except creating invalid POST request without Content-length...

it would be still possible with HTTP/1.1 chunking but i have not seen it on the
list of things to do for AXIS ARCH (or I may be wrong...).

thanks,

alek
--
Aleksander Slominski, LH 316, IU, http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom
As I look afar I see neither cherry Nor tinted leaves Just a modest hut