axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <gdani...@allaire.com>
Subject RE: Today's IRC log
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:53:10 GMT

Sam:

My concern with SAX is that the processing model can (and should, IMO, to
get the real bonus) be *completely* different from the DOM model.  I would
want to build the Handler framework differently - basically have each
Handler register for the types of stuff it's interested in, and then a piece
of our infrastructure acts as the SAX event handler, feeding the pieces to
the appropriate Handlers as they are read.  This has some problems with
multi-ref accessors, as we discussed in the chat, so there would still need
to be *some* kind of generated in-memory message model.

I can see us, for now, making the DOM completely isolated behind a canonical
Message API.  That solves the "option, not a requirement" problem.  Then, if
we have time, I would suggest we consider a PDOM approach, with a thread
spinning off SAX events to a middle layer which presents the canonical
Message API upwards to the Handlers.  When they ask for stuff that hasn't
yet been reached in the stream, the PDOM layer runs through the SAX stream,
caching everything until it gets to the desired stuff.  This would allow us,
later, to hook the SAX events to other sinks when appropriate.

In any case, this should all be hidden if possible.

--Glen