axis-c-user mailing list archives

From "Moens, David B" <david.b.mo...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Downloading Axis2/c 1.6.0 - Also, OpenVMS anyone?
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 15:12:31 GMT
Josef,
Thanks very much for your detailed response.

Your description of mmk is very enlightening. I was honestly considering bypassing the make
files completely and simply compile with a DCL script. I have been reviewing the various config
files to see what macros are described there, which one are actually used, and determine the
appropriate values.

We have also been deciding whether to create a shareable image vs. an object library. The
EXE will be more efficient and possibly easier to upgrade, while the OLB will be simpler to
produce in the short run. We might even do a phase 1/2 approach.

Your mention of Axis2/Java on OpenVMS is very interesting. We are investigating using Axis2/c
due to concerns about integrating Axis2/Java into our legacy application. Our scenario is
to have Axis2 clients talking to .Net web services. We have no immediate plans to wrap our
legacy services. We have done a successful simple test of the technology, but we have significant
concerns about developing in Java on OpenVMS and using JNI to integrate with Java. A particular
area of concern is trapping thrown errors on the Java side and cleanly returning them to the
legacy code without losing the instance of the Java VM. Your experience would be helpful,
as perhaps we are being too cautious.

So far, it appears our choices are Axis2/Java, Axis2/C, and gSoap. They each have plusses
and minuses. IHP had provided Axis2/C as well as Axis2/Java, I would have jumped on Axis2/C
and be done. I haven't found any other options, even when scanning for commercial solutions
delivering OpenVMS Web Service Client capability.

Regards,
Dave