axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <sam...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: using APR in Axis2/C
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 14:03:04 GMT
When we developed the Axis2/C httpd module, we did not consider opening up
APR API from the module.

It is true that we plug the alloc and free to apr functions.

However, we have not thought at all about the user extending this. I would
say, if you want to go down that path, then you got to do it at your own
risk. :)

We have used our own pool to guard against httpd coming and cleaning up our
env and the like when it wants. If the cleaning is unpredictable, we will
not be able to assume that env will be there when we want it to, across
requests.

Samisa...

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Sam Carleton <
>> scarleton@miltonstreet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All my Axis2/C services run in Apache.  Is there any way to get at the
>>> apr_pool_t parameter in the service so I can use APR functions?  The main
>>> functions I am looking for are things like apr_dir_open,
>>> apr_dir_close,apr_dir_read, and apr_dir_rewind.
>>>

>> I did some hunting and it looks like I can use:
>> env->allocator->local_pool.  Is that correct?
>>
>> Also, I was noticed that the axis2_handler is calling apr_pool_create_ex()
>> and NOT sending in a parent.  From what I understand of apr, modules should
>> not be creating their own pool, but creating sub pools off of the main
>> application.  What is the reasoning for Axis2 creating it's own pool and not
>> a sub pool off of Apache?
>>

> Since it has been 9 days since I asked this and no one has answered, this
> leads me to believe the answer is unknown.  Would this be a fair assumption?
>

> Sam

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering
WSO2 Inc.