axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Sam Carleton <scarle...@miltonstreet.com>
Subject Re: using APR in Axis2/C
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:54:34 GMT
Samisa,

Please first understand that under no circumstance am I trying to be
difficult, just that I am trying to understand...

> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa@wso2.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We have used our own pool to guard against httpd coming and cleaning up
>>> our env and the like when it wants. If the cleaning is unpredictable, we
>>> will not be able to assume that env will be there when we want it to, across
>>> requests.
>>
>> I think there might be some holes in this thought process:  The allocation
>> I am talking about is at the Apache module handler level, not in the core
>> Axis2 engine.  Your logic makes perfect sense for the core engine, where it
>> will want to maintain state between requests.  From what it looks like the
>> axis2_handler ALWAYS calls apr_pool_create_ex() towards the top of the
>> function and ALWAYS calls apr_pool_destroy() at the end of the call, so even
>> if something in the engine was hoping that the pool would be there for the
>> next request, the axis2_handler is cleaning it up.
>>
>> All in all, I hope you revisit this, fore I think it could be a
>> performance issue, considering axis2 never knows exactly how the current
>> pool was created, piggy backing on the parent pool could serious improve
>> performance!
>>
>> Only trying to help make this a better product!

Any thoughts on the above?

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa@wso2.com> wrote:

> We are a SOAP engine, and any other SOAP engine does not use the model that
> we use, nor many other protects that use APR are SOAP engines.
>
> This use case that we have in Axis2/C is unique, and hence this model, and
> it was done consciously, not by chance, or not because we did not understand
> how to use APR proper.

I understand that Axis2/C is a SOAP engine, I also understand that it
has it's own model.  I don't understand the last sentence, well it
isn't all the clear.  I am guessing you mean that there are not that
many other SOAP engines that use APR.

Since you understand what the APR is and how to use the APR, I guess
it is my understanding of that is flawed.  It is my understanding that
the APR is a portable run-time library that has been designed to
provide a common interface to low level routines across any platform.
Further more the APR is ultimately a library a set of operations that
are required for cross platform develop.

Why does it matter that Axis2 is a SOAP engine and other projects that
use the APR are not SOAP engines?  What am I missing?

Sam