axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <sam...@wso2.com>
Subject Extending Axis2/C to do what you want - the advanced usage of the APIs
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 01:26:33 GMT
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Selvaratnam Uthaiyashankar <
uthaiyashankar@gmail.com> wrote:

>  If you want to pass
> a void* from the server to business logic, you can pass it as part of
> the context hierarchy. Create a void*, and put it inside the parameter
> of configuration context. Axis2/C engine will pass it through, without
> touching it..

The use of parameters in config context in Axis2 architecture is meant to be
used by user for the purpose of maintaining virtually "anything".
That is one of the many strong extension points in Axis2/C. And since it can
contain anything, it is application or business logic agnostic as far as the
SOAP engine is concerned. Hence we claim "sky is the limit" for
integration.

As far as the Axis2 SOAP engine design goes, we have to be deployment
container agnostic, hence we cannot afford to provide anything other than
the context hierarchy and description hierarchy means of extending into user
space. Both context hierarchy and description hierarchy allow the power of
extending the SOAP engine in sync with the user needs, to live with both
static and dynamic extension needs.
This architecture is well explained in the manual
http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_2/Axis2ArchitectureGuide.html
<http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_2/Axis2ArchitectureGuide.html>which is linked
from the root of Axis2/C docs in
http://ws.apache.org/axis2/c/docs/index.html

In terms of how to use this architecture principles in the user space, the
best documentation can be found in the source headers:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/axis/axis2/c/core/trunk/include/
If anyone is interested in leaning

And if anyone who want to look for samples, there is plenty of help in mail
archives, like:
http://old.nabble.com/Implementing-Http-Keep-Alive-and-Transport-level-session-support-for-Axis2-C-td26790065.html
and there are loads of archives as well.

And we have sample usages out there, like
https://wso2.org/svn/browse/wso2/trunk/wsf/add-ons/c/adminservices/util/counter.c?revision=56913&view=markup&sortby=rev&pathrev=57065
The samples that we ship are for beginners. There are many open source
samples of how to use Axis2/C out there.

So the sequence goes, Manuals, Headers, Mails, Samples.
And the usual complain is on lack of documentation but the above four could
prove to be a wealth of information.

And one can use Google or any other each engine to locate any of the above
four. Like: http://www.google.com/search?q=axis2_conf_ctx_set_property

Any advanced user who want to do what they want with Axis2/C can use above.
Try to understand. Then try to code, and then try and complain as to what
goes wrong with code users have, ideally with segments of code itself.

It is general understanding that advanced users by intuition might have used
above four channels already when they ask questions on this list. The reason
not to use RFM or RFH or RFS in this list that often.

It is also assumed that they will at least provide the problem code that
they have trouble with, the relevant segments ideally when they ask for
help. That simply eases the job of other users or developers when it comes
to answer.

All the above info provided is to help folks who want to use Axis2/C to the
extreme and do the things that they want the way they want.
And I have seen many users helping users as of late on this list, which is
really encouraging. So it is perfectly OK to ask simpler questions for those
newbeis and there will be always users who are willing to help out there.

Samisa ...

http://samisa-abeysinghe.blogspot.com/