axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Sam Carleton <scarle...@miltonstreet.com>
Subject the Utopian ideal
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:11:38 GMT
Danushka,

What you describe "open source product is not a property of any individual
or a team of developers" is a great Utopian ideal, but that is not the
reality.  It doesn't matter how one slices or dices it, every open source I
have ever encountered, big or small, always has a gatekeeper (either an
individual or a team).  The gatekeeper of course is the person(s) that
controls what goes into the office source code.  Does that mean the source
code is the property of the gatekeeper?  No, but it does make them
responsible, they are the final word on what gets added and what doesn't.

The Utopian ideal is a great ideal, but it is exactly that, an ideal.  If
the gatekeeper doesn't try to foster the ideal, it won't exists, quite the
opposite will exists, one where the gatekeeper is the master and the users
nothing more then subjects. When the gatekeeper replies with something with
"we do not really need connections for our engine.", it does not create the
Utopian atmosphere, nor does it create an atmosphere conducive to others
taking initiative.

As far as simply taking initiative and making a move:  Well, one thing I
have learned is that there has been a lot of thought and more importantly
design that has gone into making Axis2/C what it is today.  With my years of
experience as a software developer, I have learned that rushing in and
making core changes to a complex system like Axis2/C can be fatal. So, some
guidance from those that know the design inside and out is very useful.
Example: The APR issue, now that I understand the big picture (the design),
I understand why it is not in use in Axis2.  So, when I ask "how does one do
xyz" and the reply from the gatekeeper is "we don't need that", it seems to
me that any effort on my part to add such a feature would never get past the
gatekeeper, fore the gatekeeper has already state it isn't needed, thus any
desire to take an initiative and make a move is killed before it ever began.

In the end, the gatekeeper is welcome to do with his gate as he pleases,
fore it IS his gate.  Since I know where I stand with respect to the gate, I
will go off else where and play.

Sam