axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: using APR in Axis2/C
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 17:08:47 GMT
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>wrote:

> Since you understand what the APR is and how to use the APR, I guess
> it is my understanding of that is flawed.  It is my understanding that
> the APR is a portable run-time library that has been designed to
> provide a common interface to low level routines across any platform.
> Further more the APR is ultimately a library a set of operations that
> are required for cross platform develop.

Axis2/C was designed to be highly embeddable. For example we embedded
Axis2/C inside Firefox using MPR, inside IE using ActiveX, and so on. So
having APR "burnt-in" would've meant that to run Axis2/C inside the browser
we'd have had to layer APR on top of MPR. Instead Samisa & team designed a
minimalistic abstraction layer which was implemented on top of APR, MPR and
more.

Why does it matter that Axis2 is a SOAP engine and other projects that
> use the APR are not SOAP engines?  What am I missing?

It doesn't .. I think what Samisa meant is that the lifecycle model of a
SOAP engine is not necessarily the same as the common usage in httpd
modules.

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/