axis-c-user mailing list archives

From "Stadelmann Josef" <josef.stadelm...@axa-winterthur.ch>
Subject AW: Axis2 for .Net???
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:17:39 GMT
Hi Sam

may I add my 2 cents.

I have ported apache axis2/c (all including libxml2 up on which axutil is based) to my OpenVMS.
I run apache tomcat on Open VMS and on top of it I run axis2/Java. I pass axiom's serialized
through the JVM and call a C wrapper. By means of libxml/C, axutil/C and axiom/C, I deserialize
and serialize to/from axisom's. So my soap xml data arrives after all my legacy server in
C, C++ and OpenVMS Pascal.

As such there is an apache axis2/c kit also for windows, which I have built on VS2005 and
it will build on VS2008 as well.

Compiling C can be done with t he switch  /clr (basically, to generated managed code for the
CLR engine) as it is all C code this might work.

The platform specific part of the axis2/C windows kit is very small and would nee to be adjusted
to your .NET platform needs. However I did it easy for OpenVMS, and for Windows there is a
platform specific directory consisting of all windows specific c source code available.

Moving this platform (windows specific bits to VS2005 / VS2008) is easy.

This all still leads to a solution which is not based on the .NET WCF or ASP stack.

It is just an Axis2/C port to a windows .NET platform using more better say less of the :NET
components, and whether you generated binary non managed code OR MIDL CLR managed code is
a different issue. It will still not make heavy use of the WCF stack, the foundation for .NET
WCF Clients and Servers.

Mono I dont know:

Apache.org so far provides axis2/Java and axis2/C (C++) as such an axis2.war (consisting of
axis2 classes) can be loaded into any Java based application engine environment such as Apache
Tomcat to be executed, and execute web services provided in .AAR files.  As Java is available
on Windows, Apache Tomcat runs on Windows, as such it loades the axis2.war file and executes
axis2/Java on windows by means of the JVM for Windows. I use it as well.

So my question to you: To what do you refere if you say:

Microsoft's .Net Web Service stack only runs on
Windows with IIS, not on none Windows with Apache and Mono.

IIS is not a requirement to run WCF, at least I am absolut unaware that I have to manage an
IIS web server just to run my WCF based web services on my lab top.

However I do not say that certain .NET components of WCF are potentially supported, or can
potentially be used by an IIS web server. Hence IIS as web server would get web service capabilities
through using some WCF web service components.

Hope I could help you a bit, not confusing you, if not, I am learning at least.

Greetings
Josef