axis-c-user mailing list archives

From S Balaji <ija...@yahoo.com>
Subject axis cpp client - exception handling and showing correct message ?
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:10:34 GMT

Hi All,

Question : How do I do the exception handling in axis cpp client so that correct relevant
message is printed out ?

Detailed description below :

I am new to Web services. I have a requirement to write C++ client to call a customer's web
services. My client code has to run on many platforms : Win32, AIX, Solaris, HP-Itanium, Linux.
I am playing with both gSoap and Axis C++ client versions on Windows first.

I am using axis-c-1.6b-Win32-trace-bin binaries on Windows 2000 Advanced Server (my laptop).

My customer's web service is written in Axis for Java.

First I tried simple examples, and they are working fine :  Calculator, hello world etc.

But when I try calling my customer's web service (real life) example with axis client as well
as with gSoap client, I am unable to get the actual exception string.

Question : How do I do the correct exception handling so that correct relevant message is
printed out ?

Bacause I am sending invalid business data, I get HTTP 500. But as you can see in the return
HTTP message below, the business exception / fault string is "TruckID EXAMPLE-5 cannot be
found" but instead I get "Cannot deserialize" with Axis and "HTTP 500 error" with gSOap.

This post is only regarding Axis, so I am not expecting any replies regarding gSOap.

Below, I have used MacDonalds as an example. They are not my customer :)

Thanks a LOT in advance !!

Below is my client code : ------------------------------------

try
{
       CustomerService service;
       allocSvcObj.setUsername("username");
       allocSvcObj.setPassword("password");
       TruckObject * createdTruckId = service.callCustomerMethod( "EXAMPLE-5","BBB" );
}
catch(AxisException& e)
{
       printf("Exception : %s\n", e.what());
}

I also tried :
catch( SoapFaultException & e)
{
       const char *excpCode = e.getFaultCode();
       const char *excpMessage = e.getFaultString();
       printf("Got Soap Fault : code : [%d], message : [%s]\n", excpCode, excpMessage);
}
catch( AxisException& e)
{
       int iExceptionCode = e.getExceptionCode();
       const char *excpMessage = e.getMessage();
       printf("Got axis exception : code : [%d], message : [%s]\n", iExceptionCode, excpMessage);

}

Below is my client run result : ------------------------------------

Exception : Cannot deserialize the requested element
if I print e.exceptionCode(), I get 72.

Below is what the customer's http server returned : ------------------------------------

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=EE7CCB1E9C3F32E1E340387CEFB3C39C; Path=/dm