axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Dominic Smith <d.sm...@querix.co.uk>
Subject Issues running service client on AIX 5L
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 17:06:25 GMT
Hello,

We've just about got the Axis2/C service client running on AIX 5L (using
Axis2/C 1.4.0), however there were a number of issues in getting this platform
working. I notice there have been previous posts concerning AIX 5L, however I
didn't see anything addressing this particular issue, so I figure it's best I
bring this up.

The crux of the problem is that when running the service client, the modules
libaxis_http_receiver.a and libaxis2_http_sender.a will crash when trying to
access methods within libaxis2_engine.a (e.g. the call to
axis2_transport_in_desc_param_container() called from axis2_http_server_init()
in http_receiver.c).

The main reason for this is that the modules libaxis2_http_sender.a and
libaxis2_http_receiver.a are not explicitly linked against libaxis2_engine.a,
so if you look at the imports list for these modules, you'll see the dynamic
linker is expecting to perform dynamic binding (but is failing to do so).
Similarly, a problem exists in libaxis2_parser.a, as it is not explicitly
linked against libaxutil.a.

For example, take a look at the output of dump -HTv on libaxis2_parser - notice
the '..' marking the symbol as being undefined.

[155] 0x20001228 .data EXP DS SECdef [noIMid] axiom_xml_reader_init
[156] 0x20001240 .data EXP DS SECdef [noIMid]
axiom_xml_reader_create_for_memory
[157] 0x20001258 .data EXP DS SECdef [noIMid] axiom_xml_reader_create_for_io
[158] 0x20001270 .data EXP DS SECdef [noIMid] axiom_xml_reader_create_for_file
[159] 0x00000000 undef IMP DS EXTref .. axutil_error_set_error_number
[160] 0x00000000 undef IMP DS EXTref .. axutil_error_set_status_code

By explicitly linking libaxutil into libaxis2_parser, we see this becomes more
like one would expect:

[44] 0x00000000 undef IMP DS EXTref
/builddeps/64/axis2/lib/libaxutil.a(libaxutil.so.0)
axutil_error_set_error_number

In addition to the problems noted on AIX, we ran into a number of minor issues
porting to HP-UX (PA-RISC in 64-bit mode). The main being in the header
axutil_unix.h, we define:

#define AXIS2_LIB_SUFFIX ".so"

unfortunately, under HP-UX (for PA-RISC) the shared library extension is ".sl"
(HP-UX on Itanium uses .so for libraries built for the IA64 architecture, and
..sl for libraries built for the PA-RISC architecture).

We have noted a number of memory leaks in the 1.5.0 branch, however due to time
constraints we haven't had a real chance to pinpoint these. Hopefully we'll be
able to bring some information on this at a later point.