axis-c-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Bolgarov" <a...@bolgarov.org>
Subject Re: Memory leak in mod_axis2?
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:15:53 GMT
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Uthaiyashankar <shankar@wso2.com> wrote:

>  I doubt whether it is a memory leak. When using mod_axis2, memory
>  management is done by apache apr. Memory is released only when pools are
>  destroyed. Memory will not be released when calling AXIS2_FREE.
>  (axis2_module_free is implemented in mod_axis2.c:412 and it is an empty
>  method unless the pool associated with is global shared pool).

Well, we can of course discuss the meaning of a term 'memory leak',
but what happens here is awfully close to any sensible definition :)

Thank you for pointing out that the mod_axis2 does not really release
memory by design. How do you think what happens if I change the
allocator used by mod_axis2 to use malloc()/free(), not the APR's
apr_pool_...() functions? Will the memory leak go away?.. Actually,
this is exactly what I'm going to do. I have some experience in
developing Apache httpd modules, and I write them in C++ and freely
use new/delete operators, so I know that using a memory allocator
other then APR's pool functions in the httpd process is OK. I will
report my findings here, hopefully in a couple of days.

Thank you,

    alex.