axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <sam...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: Memory leak in mod_axis2?
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:48:25 GMT
Alex Bolgarov wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Uthaiyashankar <shankar@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>>  I doubt whether it is a memory leak. When using mod_axis2, memory
>>  management is done by apache apr. Memory is released only when pools are
>>  destroyed. Memory will not be released when calling AXIS2_FREE.
>>  (axis2_module_free is implemented in mod_axis2.c:412 and it is an empty
>>  method unless the pool associated with is global shared pool).
>>

> Well, we can of course discuss the meaning of a term 'memory leak',
> but what happens here is awfully close to any sensible definition :)
>
> Thank you for pointing out that the mod_axis2 does not really release
> memory by design.

What we are using is APR model of pools. So you cannot say that we are
not releasing memory by design. We are depending on APR pools to release
memory by design.
We have looked deep into this issue in the past, and proven that the
request pool is reclaimed by main pool upon request completion.

> How do you think what happens if I change the
> allocator used by mod_axis2 to use malloc()/free(), not the APR's
> apr_pool_...() functions? Will the memory leak go away?.. Actually,
> this is exactly what I'm going to do. I have some experience in
> developing Apache httpd modules, and I write them in C++ and freely
> use new/delete operators, so I know that using a memory allocator
> other then APR's pool functions in the httpd process is OK.

If you go and discuss this with httpd or apr list, they will sure tell
you that this is the wrong way to do that.

There are better ways of doing this, like using using local pools, which
we are going to implement soon.

Samisa...

> I will
> report my findings here, hopefully in a couple of days.
>

> Thank you,
>
>     alex.

Samisa Abeysinghe
Software Architect; WSO2 Inc.