axis-c-user mailing list archives

From "Chintana Wilamuna" <chinta...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fw: Axis2C license questions
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:30:09 GMT
On Jan 5, 2008 3:09 PM, Trasca Virgil <virgil_trasca@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >    I see that Axis2C has following dependencies
> >
> > libxml2.dll [http://www.xmlsoft.org - download the version >=
> >
> >        libxml2-2.6.27.win32] (optional - required only if you are not
> using Guththila parser)iconv.dll [ http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/ -
> download the
> >
> >        version >= iconv-1.9.1.win32]zlib1.dll [ http://www.gzip.org/zlib/
> - download the version >=
> >
> >        zlib-1.2.3.win32]libxslt.dll [http://www.xmlsoft.org - download the
> version >= libxslt-1.1.24.win32
> ]http://ws.apache.org/axis2/c/docs/installationguide.html#win_binary
> >
> > These dependencies are not comming directly with Axis2C binaries but only
> links to download are provided in the documentation.
> >
> > iconv is from www.gnu.org.
> >
> > So my questions is how are these dependencies licensed and how compatible
> is Apache2 license of Axis with these dependencies licenses? Why these are
> not comming bundled in Axis2C binaries and only links to download are
> provided?

LibXML2 comes with the MIT license.

Zlib doesn't require sources to be made available when you're redistributing.

iconv comes with the LGPL license.

There are no incompatibility issues with the Apache 2.0 license which
Axis2/C is distributed.

Why are these packages not bundled with Axis2/C?  I would say it's a
matter of convenience.  Most free/open source software packages out
there just provide a link to the dependent libraries rather than
bundling dependents with them.

Axis2/C uses OpenSSL as well.  When it comes to that, bundling OpenSSL
with Axis2/C is a headache since it's license gets a bit anal
retentive when it comes to redistribution.

Bye,

    -Chintana

--
http://engwar.com/