axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Dumindu Pallewela <dumi...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: Memory Issues in Sample Server Code
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:23:13 GMT
Hi David,

As we use apr pools for memory management in mod_axis2, the loss
that you see (when deployed in apache2) is most _likely_ not a bug.
Rather, it should be because that is how apr pools work. They do not
necessarily free up memory immediately after a pool is destroyed.

The best way to test the apache module (If this isn't what you
already did!), is to run the client repeatedly and check if the
memory grows significantly.

HTH,
-Dumindu.

David Klassen wrote:
> Actually I was using both apache and the axis2_http_server, of which the axis2_http_server
had less memory absorption. Incidentally I also found a difference in the amount of memory
loss due to version of the axis2c client program used. All tests were performed using a v1.1.0
based server on Windows. The client programs were invoked on Linux using both v1.0.0 and v1.1.0
of axis2c:

> Server                        |  v1.1.0 client   |   v1.0.0 client
> httpd.exe                    |   24K loss      |   16K loss
> axis2_http_server.exe |     8K loss      |     4K loss
>
> I then decide to try using a Windows client against a Linux server. The windows client
only used version 1.1.0.  I only used the Linux axis2_http_server for the server but alternated
between v1.1.0 and v1.0.0. Here are the results:

> Server                             |   v1.1.0 Window Client

> axis2_http_server v1.1.0  |         4K loss
>
> axis2_http_server v1.0.0  |         no loss
>
> I have already seen both version of the Windows server leak, however in these tests it
shows that  v1.0.0 of the Linux server did not leak but v1.1.0 does leak. Unfortunately I
need to use the Windows server version for my implementation, so this does not help in my
case. Do you know does axis C++ v1.6 have memory issues like this on Windows server side?
I really need a version that performs well on Windows.

PHP extention for providing and consuming Web services in PHP"