axis-c-user mailing list archives

From John Hawkins <HAWKI...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: xsd deserialization for integer types broken
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:37:07 GMT
I won't comment on the broken code but I will comment on the reason why
max and min values on reply msgs aren't validated.

The view was taken that the server was already going to do validation and
therefore that the client could have a reasonable trust in the values
coming across the wire. You can argue either way - it would be ideal if
someone would write it so that validation could be toggled - but there
were more important things to do at the time.

regards,
John.

Kamlesh kumar <kamaal79@yahoo.com>
18/09/2006 21:30
Please respond to

axis-c-user@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
xsd deserialization for integer types broken

The xsd deserialization for integer types is awfully
broken.

For instance, calling the getElementAsInt() API for
the XML fragment

"<foo>30a</foo>"

I would have expected it to either return 30 or
ideally throw an exception. Instead, I get a value of
300 :(

Similarly, calling

"<foo>30 </foo>" returns a value of 300 !

I think the following change might have introduced
this bug.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/axis/trunk/c/src/soap/xsd/Integer.cpp?r1=261408&r2=261497&diff_format=h

Further, why aren't we validating against the maximum
and minimum value for each type ?

For instance, getElementAsShort() for the XML fragment

"<foo1>32768</foo1>" returns -1. I would have expected
AxisC++ to throw an exception saying it exceeds the
max value of short instead of silently returning wrong
values.

I am surprised why this bug hasn't been seen till now.

Regardless, I think it should be top priority to fix
this issue.