axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Rogers <krog...@pdi.com>
Subject Re: Two build questions
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:19:45 GMT

Hey Samisa, thanks for the response. See my notes below:

Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:

>We seem to have few problems with Xerces 2.6 with some test cases.
>However, I was able to run the samples both on Linux and Windows using
>Xerces 2.6

I am, unfortunately, unable to upgrade to 2.6 at this time because of
dependencies of other tools in my work envirnoment on Xerces.  I'll keep
trying, or maybe try to set up my environment to fall back to the 2.2
version that Axis 1.5.0 was built against.

>axisapp.conf file is not pointing to the Xerces parser. Rather it is
>ponting to the Axis C++ implementation of the Xerces based paser
>abstraction layer lib.
>

>The libs such as Xerces are infact are picked from the lib path. We
>need the axiscpp.conf file to specify the location of the paser,
>transport and cannel abstraction implementations.

Yes, this is true. However, isn't this why you copy libaxis_xercesc.so
(the default parser library) to libaxis_xmlparser.so (or create a
simlink to accomplish the same thing)? Am I misunderstanding in thinking
that these two libs are supposed to be exactly the same, only with
different names?

If I am understanding correctly, this requires a step (post-build) on
the user's part to make sure that they have either copied or linked the
appropriate XML parser lib so that it is represented by the name
'axis_xmlparser', which is just an abstraction you have placed on top of
it. If this is the case, why not just do the same thing for the
transport and channel libs? Meaning, why don't you provide generic lib
names as an abstraction on top of the libraries, and then rely on the
user to either copy or link them post-build? This would do away with the
need for the conf file, correct?

>>Second, for right now, I need to have the axiscpp.conf file located
>>somewhere other that /etc, and was wondering what needs to be done to
>>make that happen?
>>

>You do not need to have the conf file in /etc. All that you have to do
>is to define the AXISCPP_DEPLOY environment variable. Then both the
>server and clients will try to locate the conf file from
>$AXISCPP_DEPLOY/etc.
>
>Obviously, if AXISCPP_DEPLOY is not set, it will look in /etc.

Thanks! That hint just helped me track that down to the
common/AxisConfig.cpp file. I'll try that out now.

Best,
Kevin

--
Kevin Rogers