axis-c-user mailing list archives

From "Henrik Nordberg" <henrik.nordb...@edgewaystech.com>
Subject Re: array example axis 1.6 alpha
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:18:23 GMT
Hi again,

I checked the code and there are two types of constants that are used to create exceptions:
enums and constant strings

In the case below (CLIENT_SOAP_SOAP_CONTENT_ERROR) we have an enum value. So it shouldn't
trigger bug 707. This bug only applies when "FOO" type constants are passed in. (Though, there
is still a bug in that delete is used instead of delete[], and it would still be much better
if const string& was used.)

 - Henrik
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Henrik Nordberg
  To: Apache AXIS C User List
  Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 11:31 AM
  Subject: Re: array example axis 1.6 alpha

  Hi,

  There are a few things wrong here. First the two problems I am sure of:

  A constant character array is passed to the ctor of AxisSoapException. This array is passed
to the processException() method, which destroys it using operator delete.

  Dev team, please switch to using std::string instead of char*. You can still pass in constant
char* if you have your arguments be const std::string&.
  Currently there are many places in the code where "some constant" is passed to the ctors
of various exceptions. Then those exceptions delete the strings and the server crashes (if
we are lucky), as happened in this case.

  I have reported this bug (which really is several bugs) to JIRA: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXISCPP-707
  But only a very small part of the problem was addressed and then the bug was closed. This
bug needs to be re-opened and fixed completely by removing the delete/delete[] in processException()
and having the ctor take a const std::string& instead of char*. We also need to remove
the places where new[] was used to create the argument to the ctor, but this is a small price
to pay to avoid a crashing server.

  The other aspect is the cause of your exception. I am not as sure about this one, but would
guess that the client and server are using different SOAP encodings (Doc literal vs. RPC).

   - Henrik