axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Jared_McInt...@peoplesoft.com
Subject Services Hosted by Non-Webservers
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:31:55 GMT
We are looking at migrating some of our backend code that uses Apache SOAP
1 and MS SOAP 2 to use Axis (Java and C++).  Here is a basic overview of
how it all works today:

We have two applications (one java, one C++).  Each application exposes a
single service and consumes the service of the other.  To do this, we use
the two SOAP libraries described earlier to generate and process the SOAP
envelopes for each call.  We handle all the network communication of these
envelopes ourselves (no http server, etc).  This allows us to embed the
applications, but it also allows us to easily expose multiple instances of
the same service on the same machine. This is important since there can be
multiple instances of one of these apps.  Each instance of app A must
expose an instance of service A as application B will consume all currently
running instances of service A.  To accomplish this, the port the service
is exposed on is defined at runtime and discovered with calls to a broker
we have created that manages all this information on the fly.

So, its a largely basic RPC style communication, where we drive the
networking.  I'd like to use the built in functionality of Axis as much as
possible.  Is there a standard transport layer that can be used to embedd
and expose a service in an application using Axis that both the Java and
C++ versions can use.  If so, can I define the port it opens on the fly
(both for exposing purposes and consuming)?  If not, is there an easy way
to write the transport layer ourselves so that we can embed them this way?

Jared McIntyre
Development Tools
PeopleSoft
Jared_McIntyre@peoplesoft.com