axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Sam Lang <sl...@mcs.anl.gov>
Subject Re: axis c++ project questions
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:34:34 GMT

> 1. The error handling in Axis is pretty much non-existent.  The only
> error code returned from a function in most cases is AXIS_FAIL, which
> tells me nothing about the cause of the error.  Also, there's no
> framework for chaining errors along from a base cause through the call
> stack.  I'd like to see some kind of error handling architecture in
> place, with an explicit project statement about how functions/methods
> should create and use them.  Any thoughts on this?

It would be great if someone could respond to this.  Sanjiva?
Susantha?  I will go ahead and propose that I think instead of returning
AXIS_SUCCESS/FAIL values from functions, an AxisError object should be
returned.  The object could have members like so:

struct/class AxisError {

	int error_module; /* common, wsdd, soap, etc. */
        int error_code;  /* an error code for a standard error in that
module */
        AxisString reason; /* text related to the error */
        AxisError causal;  /* used for chaining errors through the
function stack */
};

It might also be nice if there was the ability to convert from a
returned soap fault (on the client) to one of the AxisError objects.

-Sam